Are you wondering if Prenatal massages are safe? We’re here with everything you need to know before you hop on to your favourite massage parlour.
You’d be lying if you said you don’t love massages! Honestly, who doesn’t? Just like your regular massages Prenatal massages will make you feel like heaven on earth does exist, or maybe even better! These massages are proven to be helpful, to get rid of the pregnancy pain and discomfort, both mentally and physically. They are very similar to regular full-body massages BUT are just carefully MODIFIED for the safety of the mother-to-be and her child.
Is it really safe?
It is commonly advised by experts to start with these massages only in the second trimester as there lie greater risks of miscarriages in the first trimester. But it’s always a smarter move to consult your midwife or gynaecologists before signing up for prenatal massages. The second and most important thing is to find a certified massage therapist. It’s always safe to connect with therapists who are trained to work with pregnant women, so don’t shy away from asking about their qualifications!
Wondering how can these massages help you?
These are not only beneficial for you but also your child! Find below some concrete reasons as to why you should not miss it!
Did you know many moms-to-be consider maternal massages as the biggest and easiest source of relaxation? Here’s why: these massages, not only physically relax your body but also help you fight anxiety and depression to a great extent. Prenatal massages increase your dopamine and serotonin levels which helps you lift your mood and feel good, thereby releasing stress in expecting mothers. We’re sure by now you are curious to know a ton of other benefits that it has, aren’t you? Let’s quickly have a look:
- Helps alleviate lower back and joint pain: Almost all women suffer from back pain during pregnancy. These massages can help immensely in easing the pain. It makes your body more flexible and helps get rid of stiff joints and aching muscles.
- Turns down swelling: Swelling of hands, legs and around the belly are a common issue in Mothers-to-be. The best way to deal with this is Prenatal massages. Ditch the medicines and give massage therapy a try. We’re sure it won’t disappoint you.
- Say good-bye to untimely headaches: You might be facing migraine headaches caused commonly due to hormonal shifts, dehydration or regular stress. Massages can help in relieving these headaches and can make your mind feel calm and relaxed.
- Your sound-sleep will be back now: Pregnancy sure comes along with a lot of tensions and difficult-to-adjust-physical-changes, which often makes it tough for you to sleep peacefully at night. Researchers say that massage therapy can help you fight the stress and make your body feel relaxed mentally and physically, in turn, providing you with healthy sleep. (You already want to get up and go for a massage, don’t you? But wait, it has one more important benefit that you’d love to know.)
- It eases the labour: Parental massages have proven to be a secret pathway to easier labour with very few complications. Studies show women who underwent massage therapy experienced shorter labour with less pain and lesser need for pain-control medications.
Parental messages when done right can help improve the physical and mental health of a pregnant woman. Thereby resulting in a more secure, comfortable and happy pregnancy outcome. But it is advisable to strictly avoid getting a massage in the following situations:
- History of premature labour
- Pregnancy hypertension
- Allergy to particular massage oils
- A physical injury
- High blood pressure
- Severe swelling
- A blood clot
- Any type of skin disease.
In all these cases, make sure to consult your doctor before starting the massage therapy.
Giving birth is surely not a cakewalk. We understand what you’re going through moms, and how difficult it can get at times, so here’s a suggestion, the only one you need- sit back and relax! Amidst all the stress and responsibilities don’t forget to buy out some time for yourself. Enrol in prenatal massages, practice pregnancy-friendly exercises, watch your favourite movies, love your pregnant body, spend some quality time with your loved ones, plan your babymoon and do everything that makes you feel better and makes the process easier!
We hope you have a wonderful pregnancy journey, but before leaving this page take out a minute to quickly let us know in the comments below if you have opted for prenatal massages during your pregnancy?